Guidelines for Decorum in Remote Hearings04/13/2023
Follow these best practices to ensure a smooth experience for everyone.
- Find a quiet, well-lit place for clear and distraction-free audio and video.
- Turn off TVs, radios, and phone notifications.
- If there are others around you, try moving to a room with a door you can close.
- Do NOT join from a moving vehicle.
- Do NOT record or broadcast the hearing in any way.
- If possible, make sure your device is plugged into a power source and not running only off battery power.
- If joining by video, find your device’s video camera and make sure it is uncovered. Position the camera at eye level so others can see you clearly.
- Dress in solid colors, and be mindful of what is behind you. Check the lighting to make sure you can be seen by others.
- Turn off your video if you're waiting for your hearing to start.
- Use headphones, if possible, for the best sound quality and the fewest background noises.
- Mute yourself when not speaking.
- Speak one at a time and pause before speaking in case there is audio or video lag.
- Enter your first and last name when you join. If you are an attorney, identify which party you represent. For example, Joan Lawyer, Attorney for the Petitioner.